Friday, August 12, 2011

Farmer's And Jefferson Market

I don't know when the Farmer's Market on Elm and Smith 
first opened.  But there was another market called the Jefferson Market 
that began in 1907.
Opening Day of the Jefferson Market 
Check out the Livery Stable and the Vaudeville Theatre
These pictures were taken from the City of Perth Amboy
Tercentennial  (1683-1983)  Booklet. 

The Farmer's Market was located on the corner of Smith and Elm St.
I purchased the following pictures of the Farmer's Market
a few years ago.
They were taken in 1969.

Remember Turtle's
It was a men's clothing store.
                         
Look how busy it was!

Fresh fruit and vegetables, flowers, and even live chickens
were sold at the Farmer's Market
A few years later a nursing home was built on
the site. 
This picture was taken in the early 90's. It is now
called the Arista Care at Alameda Center
and has been renovated since this picture was taken.

1 comment:

  1. I remember going there with my grandma and my great-aunt, when I was a kid. It was fascinating to me, all that fresh food locally grown and raised. The stands were filled with produce from the local Middlesex County farms - most of which are now housing developments and corporate parks. It was a sad time when it was torn down.

    ReplyDelete