Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Your Beginnings




Ever thought "Where did my family come from" or "How far back can I find about my family"?

I did, and it's been fun.

I just want to share some of the documents and other resources that you can use when researching your family.





If you are reading this, you have the best resource at your finger tips, the computer.



FAMILY MEMBERS
Before getting into the websites available, I want to start with something close to you, your family! Talk to your grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, anyone that may have information on your family. Don't wait till it's too late. My family had a great aunt that lived till she was 105, I wasn't into our family roots until after she left us, I lost a lot of "first hand" information that is lost forever. SO TALK to them NOW! Also think about recording it on a video camera or even a voice recorder. If you have a computer with a camera, sit them in front of it and RECORD! What's Next?








Old Newspapers - Library

Stop in your Library, there you will find old newspapers from the city or town you and your family is from. These newspapers are probably on micro film or digitalize . Ask your Librarian for help.








PLACES

Some of the places for some good family information is; City Hall, Churches, Cemeteries and again Libraries. These places will have Birth and death certificates, family names and dates on grave stones, Baptism papers, school records and other important information. Don't forget the Old Country too, it may be a little harder if you don't know the language, but with all the technology out there it's a lot easier. Write letters and use a translator on your Word processor. It works! One last place I want to mention; Ellis Island!




Worldwide Web - The Internet


Here is a "Great" Source! I guess the internet did get me started. There are so many sites out there that will get you well on the way to find "You" and your family. I'm going to touch on the sites I used and received enough information on my family.


Check out the Woodbridge Public Library site for some local area history, especially the oral history section.


Well I hope I made you interested in your family history and how to start. I was amazed to find that I have blood relatives in Hungry, Poland, Germany and Columbia. When my great grandfather decided to travel to America, my grandfather stay, my great grandfather went back to the homeland and my grandfather's brothers settled in Columbia and Germany. I would have never known that if I didn't research my family. Go have FUN and get Amazed!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment